Last Update: Tuesday, May 16, 2006. 11:19am (AEST)
A south-east South Australian environmental health officer has warned about a bacteria found on raw poultry and on animals, which he believes is on the increase.
Naracoorte Lucindale Council’s Dr Bob Netherton says the campylobacter bacteria commonly causes gastroenteritis, but can also cause other illnesses.
During a recent presentation to Tatiara District Council, Dr Netherton said the infection is linked to Gillain Barre Syndrome, which causes paralysis.
“Campylobacter is out of control in South Australia and now it has been increasing associated to Gillain Barre Syndrome, so we do need to know a little bit about that,” he said.
“The way campylobacter affects the immune system to produce Gillain Barre Syndrome is known and the sooner we do something about it, the better.”
Ways to control the spread of the bacteria include safe food handling practices and washing hands after dealing with animals.