The State Department of Agriculture and Markets announced Monday that milk from Martin Yoder Farm, 2594 Murdock Rd., was contaminated by Campylobacter jejuni, a bacteria that is a common cause of food poisoning, in samples conducted last week.
Ag & Markets Commissioner Richard A. Ball warned consumers in Orleans County and the surrounding area not to consume unpasteurized raw milk from the farm, but noted that no illnesses have been associated with the product.
“The Department recommends that any consumers who purchased raw milk from the Martin Yoder Farm immediately dispose of it,” the department said in a statement.
According to Ag & Markets, symptoms from Campylobacter jejuni exposure typically develop within two to five days after exposure and include abdominal pain, diarrhea, fever and malaise. These symptoms generally last about seven days but Campylobacter jejuni has been linked to incidents of Guillain-Barre syndrome, which may occur weeks after exposure.
Inspectors discovered the bacteria in a preliminary test completed on Sept. 13, and the farm immediately voluntarily suspended sales of the product. Further laboratory testing, completed on Friday, confirmed the presence of Campylobacter jejuni in the raw milk sample.
The farm, founded by the late Martin Yoder, is part of an Amish community that came to northwestern Orleans County from families in Ohio. Yoder’s farm, as of 2013, had 45-head of grazing cows on a fully-organic operation.
Consumers were able to purchase raw milk directly from the farm, but those sales have been prohibited until additional sampling is completed that confirms the product is bacteria-free.
Unpasteurized raw milk is supported by some consumers as a healthier and less industrial product, but skipping the heating process does not eliminate the possibility for bacteria. Consumers who may have purchased this product and have questions may call the Department at (518) 457-1772.