Utah health officials have linked a Campylobacter outbreak to raw milk purchased from Ropelato Dairy in Ogden, Utah.
The Utah Department of Health announced Monday it has suspended the dairy’s permit to sell unpasteurized milk due to the outbreak. Nine individuals in Weber, Davis and Cache counties, all of whom have since recovered, were diagnosed with Campylobacter after drinking raw milk from the farm during the outbreak.
The farm stopped selling raw milk after learning one person became sick, and may permanently halt unpasteurized milk sales altogether, Bob Ropelato, co-owner of Ropelato Dairy said to The Standard-Examiner.
Campylobacteriosis can spread through contaminated food and water, and may cause vomiting, cramping, abdominal pain, fever and muscle pain. In rare cases some people can develop arthritis or Guillain-Barré syndrome, which can cause paralysis.